Friday 19 August 2016

Kid's Clothes Week Summer 2016: Celebration


My last blog post was basically a pile of kid's clothes that I've made, and this one is basically the same. Last week was the summer 2016 edition of the Kid's Clothes Week challenge/sewalong. As I'm sure you know by now, the only criteria for taking part is to sew clothing for children for at least an hour a day for a week. Each instalment has a theme, that you can adopt or ignore as you please. This summer's theme was 'Celebration', and I decided to translate it as a celebration of the little girl that my baby is turning into. So that meant embracing her defiantly girly, dressy clothing preferences! 


I failed to do any sewing on Monday or Friday, so I made sure I caught up by doing more than an hour on other days and extended it to include Monday this week. I managed to complete three woven garments, a skirt, a tunic top and a dress. I actually cut out the tunic top months ago, and it was great to be able to use KCW to fit in the actual construction, since I had clearly been stalling for various reasons. 


I intend to write individual posts for each of these garments in due course. However, I must admit at this point that the dress is the only one that Dolores hasn't refused to even try on! So modelled photos may be thin on the ground. 


Any tips on getting head strong toddlers and children to put on clothes when they don't want to?!

12 comments:

Martina said...

Make crystals on it.
Best
Martina

Mother of Reinvention said...

No, and just to be clear it will only get worse when they are a teenager. : ) Come to think of it getting Sprozilla to do anything that isn't video games is hard, even showering and brushing her hair. I have spoke to other parents and theirs' are the same. They are awesome though. Xx

Anonymous said...

You have to find a way to let them think it was their idea! In our house, sometimes just putting a new item in their drawer and waiting for them to take the "bait" works (you have to have lots of patience and flexible deadlines!). Other times it takes a little more strategy but it can be done!

Christals Creations said...

Girls! I have one of those too, far too strong willed. ;) The skirt and tunic are my favourites. Happy sewing. :)

Hélène said...

How could she not love those umbrellas? And that beautiful button detail?? I'm sure she'll look back at these cute garments soon enough and wonder what she was thinking when she shunned them!

Helen said...

Biscuits. Or TV. A bit of bribery never goes amiss. Or tell her it used to belong to (insert name of older cousin/friend/whoever she admires most). That's worked for me before. Good luck! They are really cute clothes.

Unknown said...

The umbrella print is glorious – love it!

My three-year old refused point blank to wear a T-shirt I'd made him for about three weeks – even though he'd chosen the fabrics and the style. What worked was just leaving in his drawer for him to choose from each morning, and once he decided that it was his idea and not mine, he asked to put it on.

Jo said...

Same as the above for me. When they know you want it, they won't do it! Luckily my girls were always happy to wear things for a photo if I printed out the photo for them to keep - not sure why but there you are. I love those makes. My nine year old still requests stuff from Ottobre magazines so you have many more years of happy sewing to come. Jo x

Janome Gnome said...

Needs a set up, but works. You need someone she idol worships - probably an adult friend who she has decided is exciting - to walk in to your place, notice it on a hangar and say within in earshot of her, but totally casual in passing, something along the lines of "wow, rad disco dress" and then say no more about it. Stock goes up fast. Also works for moving on from much loved old shoes in favour of new, otherwise rejected shoes. Doesn't work with picky eating. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. :)

Lian said...

In my boys case a car applique would do the trick, anything she likes? And all of the above, reverse psychology, bribery, distraction, make other family members do it etc... All of them have worked and not worked for my boys. Aren't toddlers delightful?

Kathryn said...

These are so such gorgeous makes, and such great fabric! You were so productive this time round! We have a serious Batman obsession going on here (not helped by me having bought 2 batman tshirts in the charity shop & an auntie buying him another one) and if they didn't get dirty they'd be worn all the time! I tend to offer a choice of 2 or 3 outfits and let him pick from there, and sometimes lie and say the batman t-shirts are still dirty when they aren't - bad mummy!

prairie underground pants said...

Yes this post is very nice and its product is really very awesome. Thanks to this post and sharing best design or information.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...