Sunday 9 March 2014

Nautical Palazzo Pants


Look! I made a thing!!!!!! That's basically the crux of this post, like most of my posts I guess now I come to think of it! Before these beauts were completed I only had two pairs that fit and are ok to be seen in the outside world. With the amount of five-month-old-baby's puke flying round these days, it was rapidly becoming clear that another pair of trousers would be mighty useful. 


Pattern:

Back in December I put the call out to you lovely readers to help me figure out what sailor style trouser pattern would be the way to go, considering my limited free time for sewing. I am very grateful for all the tuppence worths that were subsequently put in. The lovely Handmade Jane threw another pattern option in to the mix by offering to lend me her copy of Simplicity 2654 (pictured above) from which she had previously made an awesome pair of sailor trousers herself.  

I decided to take Jane up on her kind offer because I loved the notched waistline plus she explained how she found the front pleats made them easily adjustable (no time for toiles these days). In the end the pattern size that Jane had already cut out was fine with no modifications required. The loose style and forgiving fabric helped make that so. Styling wise, the simple omission of the side tab detail from the original design and the equally simple application of buttons, and BOOM!: vintage-style sailors slacks are go. 

The only change I made to the pattern was to lengthen the legs by 5cms to be safe, even though I'm fairly average height. I'm pleased that I did because they are just about long enough with a modest amount of hem turn-up. 


Fabric:

If this grey something-or-other-type-of-fabric looks familiar, it's because I have already used the same stuff for these cropped trousers and my mild-maternity Tova tunic dress. So like the porridge debacle in the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, this fabric was a bit too thin for the cropped trousers, and a bit too thick for the Tova tunic dress, but just right for this project! Hurrah! It has enough body for the notched waistline shaping and is warm enough to be wearable in Spring, but it also has sufficient drape for the wide legs to flow nicely. I have just enough scrap-age of this fabric left over to create a false hem or false turn-ups if I need to lengthen them in the future (I found with my black and denim wide leg trousers that after heaps of laundering, they slowly shrunk in length to a state of unwearability). 


Extras and thoughts:

The navy buttons are purely decorative, and it may not surprise you to learn that they have anchors carved into them. They were a gift that had been dwelling in my stash, along with this fabric that I don't think I paid for either in the first place, so effectively this was a free garment. I'm not sure if the final trousers are a bit too dressy for my day-to-day life, and I've only worn them to a house-party (daytime baby-friendly house party to be precise) so far. They did glean some compliments and there were vague hints from others to suggest that they would like me to make them a pair, that I managed to expertly side-step! 

So if you've managed to read this far into this post, I shall now reward you with a pic that includes one of the cutest babies in town!


40 comments:

Andrea said...

Aww, I think that precious little baby needs a matching pair of nautical palazzo pants. Wouldn't that be the cutest?

wendy said...

As much as we all might love your new trousers, I think that last pic will win all the 'aaah's :) You both look gorgeous Zoe :)

sorbetsurprise said...

Lovely! They look great on you and I love how the blouse stripes look like suspenders! Bonus baby pic - awww!

eline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sewing by Shirley said...

Love the pants! They look fantastic on you! Ahhh, love the last pic of you and your baby too :)

eline said...

I meant: Lovely trousers and a lovely baby! Great combo!

Anonymous said...

She IS the cutest baby in town! What a beautiful smile! Also that blouse is wowza. :)

p.s. I hope you will still host a Me-Made_Month,

sew rachel! said...

Yay! They look great, too! My recent pants make was prompted by the same issue... " hmmm.... I have only one pair of work pants that fit me...." :)

the craftytraveller said...

Aww, what a cutie! Trousers look good too - comfy yet classy. Great job! Rachel ☺

marie said...

You both look gorgeous!
And I really like both the pants and the fact that you blog about something you made :-)

Far said...

Gorgeous Duo! Love The Pants Too!

Vicki Kate said...

Oh, I love the trousers and definitely the cutest baby in town!

Anonymous said...

These are so cute and I love the way you've styled them! You're not kidding, that's the cutest baby ever!

emily said...

Excellent trousers, Zoe! And thanks for the bonus pic of the little lady! She's too cute!

Kathryn said...

You look amazing Zoe! Your trousers are great, and that last photo - she's soo cute!!

Kirsty said...

Gorgeous pants Zoe. Great fit. And what a gorgeous little girl. Thanks for the pic x

Suzy said...

Those pants are gorgeous, but completely upstaged by the cute baby. Well done on getting something finished!

Clare Szabo said...

Great trousers and styling and mega cute baby!

Hana said...

Lovely pants and ohh... she is so cute baby :-)

Miriam said...

yeah that's a mighty cute baby you're modelling there. Great pants, so long as they are comfy then they are perfect for everyday life! x

Jenny said...

Yay, I'm so glad you found a winner....and the time to make them! They are perfectly you!

tialys said...

All gorgeous . What lovely smiles in that last pic.

Philippa said...

I'm so pleased you got to make your trousers! I think the pattern was a good call - they are flattering and the fabric looks perfect for the job. (Just have to say, very cute baby, too :))

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

Well done! And sewing *anything* with a 5 month old baby is no small feat! You and baby both look fantastic! :) Lisa

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous (and the pantd) ;)

Sew little time said...

they are lovely. i wouldn't have looked twice at that pattern based on the envelope but it looks so stylish on you and jane! and that is one adorable baby - what a smiler!

Jane said...

Oh fab, they turned out beautifully Zoe! You look amazing in them, especially worn with that gorgeous nautical blouse. And as for Missy…. Isn't she just a peach?! x

EmSewCrazy said...

You are looking super good for a lady that just had a baby! Those trousers are FABulous!!

Gabrielle said...

They are such striking trousers - they look amazing. Your little girl is such a cutie - she looks like a really happy baby :)

Maider Masustak said...

So cute!!!! And the last picture is very lovely!

Sølvi said...

Love ´em! Very nice drape, and the style is perfect for you. You both look lovely!

Anonymous said...

What a cute combination - palazzo pants and an adorable babe

Symon said...

Wow, congrats on making some great pants!! And seriously cute photo with the little one - must make it easy to forgive her flying puke haha ^__^

Lovenicky said...

Your pants look lovely on you! You are back to your previous figure already. Your baby look soooooooooo adorable! Motherhood is amazing isn't it? ;-)

angela said...

I LOVE the pants. The whole outfit, actually. You look incredibly awesome, it's just so … you? :)

If the pants are too "dressy" to be worn regularly, maybe you could hem them a little shorter to make them more flat-shoe-friendly?

I have to say it again: The whole outfit is stunning and you made me want to sew myself a pair of flowy pants just like yours!

Mocksy said...

Gorgeous cutsie! Best thing you've ever made! x

Veronica said...

Yay for making a thing that's for YOU! Perfect!

Love the babe x2 photo the best though!

frk.bustad said...

Looking fab! And the styling too (inculding cutie-baby)! The fit looks flawless :)

Unknown said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4926759868384604174&postID=6431223536694057985&isPopup=true

Unknown said...

Thanks for your article and sharing your expertise, it's really appreciated.It helped me a lot for what i was searching for. Keep it up. For buy Trousers Visit: Trousers For Men

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...