Sunday 9 June 2013

If Modcloth did Maternity...


.... I think their offerings would look something like my new smock top! In fact I don't think this top would look at all out of place in Modcloth's Nautical style selection. I look at that damn website often enough, it was only a matter of time before their inspiration filtered down so directly into my creations.


This smock top is my second attempt at the Made by Rae Washi dress/tunic pattern. I'm still totally I love with my first version of this pattern, my African Wax fabric Washi dress, but sadly it didn't see many wears before my chest/bust expanded to deem it unwearable (thanks pregnancy hormones and increased oxygen requirements!). I'm sure it'll see more action in the future, post-birth and breast feeding, but I'm still currently lamenting its loss so I thought I'd have another whirl at the pattern.


I went back to the drawing board, printed out another copy and this time cut out the Large rather than the Medium size. I wanted to use this lovely piece of pique cotton with zigzag border print that I got from Claire at the Walthamstow swap and meet-up earlier in the year, but its limited quantity restricted my style options a little. For example, I had to make the tunic rather than dress version (which I was happy with), however any kind of sleeves were pretty much out of the question. As cool as the border print was going to be, I wanted to add some more interest so created a faux-button stand/placket with navy ricrac stitched down along the edges and some awesome vintage navy and white buttons that have been languishing in my stash for far too long. The only purchase I made for this make (aside from the pattern itself, of course) was the ricrac as I didn't have any navy in my stash. 


I've already worn this top once on the last day of MMM'13 when I went to Madrid for the weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our current spell of sunshine lets me get more use from this top as it was a real joy to make, but I doubt will see any use post-maternity as it really is very 'smocky'! 

41 comments:

LLBB said...

looooove!

Miriam said...

i think it looks gorgeous on you!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. This looks amazing on you! Definitely Modcloth worthy.

Anonymous said...

That looks really stunning. I love the button and ric-rac details.

Anonymous said...

The fabric is great and your skills have turned it into something very wearable.

Sam said...

This looks fantastic on you.

Kat said...

This is awesome! I love the zig zag print and the faux placket. I think I will have to check this pattern out when I'm pregnant next time. I didn't sew myself anything the first time around.

Jano said...

This looks great. If only all pregnancy clothes looked this good!

niddetissus said...

So cute!!

Claire said...

Love it! The colour is great and you look amazing in it.

Unknown said...

I love the details on this top, it look gorgeous on you too...:)

Gail said...

That's adorable!

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

Love it! The zig zag on the bottom is great! :) Lisa

Unknown said...

This is stunning! You don't even look pregnant in it. Perhaps something to do with the large scale of the border tricking the eye.
Love it!
Px

Tilly said...

Love everything about this, mrs! x

Flossie Jamieson said...

I agree with Miss P, you just look like you've had a large dinner - barely pregnant at all! It looks like a fab top, and you never know, you might still want to wear it post baby, as it will be v comfy around the belly area - which you could always take in. Another brilliant maternity make - maybe there is a book in all this somewhere ...

Hazel_Myope said...

It looks great, and it would probably be reasonably easy to adjust it and make it look less smocky later. You might be more busy with a screaming bundle of joy though...

Anonymous said...

My gawd, do I love that design! You're really taking the cake, Miss. Zoe! (watch out, Modcloth might be banging down your door for rights to this design combo!).
A suggestion: perhaps you could, after your pregnancy, reuse the bottom half of the smock with some other fabric to make it the bottom of another appropriately sized dress or skirt?

Cecili said...

It's so cool and lovely, great idea for a maternity garment!

theresa said...

It's gorgeous and looks great on you. It's a great maternity interpretation of your style. Sometimes you just can't beat a smock, hope the weather co-operates.

Kristin at SunnySewing.com said...

I am just over the moon with this top. :) Luckily I do have the pattern - just having some fitting issues with it at the moment - but I will prevail! I may have to snag a few of your ideas when I get mine set!

Thanks for the info and for popping over to my blog ;-)

Kelly said...

This top is so perfect! I love the ric-rac detail, it's cute without being sickeningly sweet.

Anonymous said...

This top is so flattering for pregnant and non pregnant ladies. The alterations and fabric choices you made are awesome - I could totally see this on Modcloth

Becca said...

This is so cute! Love how you added a faux placket on the front.

thequirkypeach said...

This is so great! The use of the print, the colors, the buttons - just perfect! I would buy this top in a second :)

Kathryn said...

You look gorgeous! I love the border print on this and I'm sure with your skills you'll be able re-use it post-pregnancy.

Julia Bobbin said...

Wow I love it so much! And it doesn't look maternity at all. Well done!

Janine said...

Very chic and summery. You actually do not look pregnant in this from the photo !

Kirsty said...

Oh so damn adorable!!!

Unknown said...

This is my favourite of all your recent makes, it looks really professional, and the finishings are perfect!

Jenna said...

Lovely top! I love the details and border print.

Jacq C said...

Oh that's fab, I love the interest you've added with the placket and ricrac - if that's what you come up with because you don't have enough fabric it just shows your creativity :)

Anonymous said...

This is really, really, REALLY cute! I LOVE it!

Stephanie said...

Waaaay cute! Love the color and pattern.

Lovenicky said...

Really lovely! The ric-rac really jazzed up the top. I'm sure you will be able to modify it into a post-pregnancy top. It's too gorgeous to be used only for 1 season.

Jenny said...

This is adorable! I can totally see it on Modcloth! The fabric is great and I love the details along the placket that you added!

Shannon said...

SOOO cute!!!!

LLADYBIRD said...

SERIOUSLY cute! Everything about this - from the chevrons to the ric rac - is just perfect!

Len said...

Lady, this is fantabulous. Too good for Modcloth!

Sølvi said...

I loved it in the MMM-pool, and seeing it up-close and personal, makes it even prettier. Very nicely done - I love all the details you´ve put into it!

Cute!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous top! Love the buttons and the pattern, definitely Modcloth worthy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...