Friday 26 April 2013

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Shawl Collar Denim Shirt Remake


Oh hai peops!!! This is the last instalment of Refashion Friday before MMM'13 kicks off next Wednesday, so I wanted to share an idea that would be a super-quick make for anyone looking to whip up an extra item before the challenge begins. Panic-sewing is in no way encouraged or endorsed, but I understand the urge to get something new-to-you finished to wear during the month. 

The 'raw ingredients' for this project are as follows: an unwanted mens button up shirt, New Look 6808 pattern (pictured above) and about half a metre of contrast cotton fabric. I've noticed that lots of sewers already have this sewing pattern in their pattern stash, no doubt because it's a great basic shape plus very versatile with all the different neckline and sleeve combinations that are possible.

If you are thinking that this project looks familiar, well you should congratulate yourself on your Sherlock Holmes-style abilities. It is, in fact, basically exactly the same as this version I made for myself in 2011. The main differences are that this version uses a denim shirt rather than work shirt as the starting point, plus with the denim version I simply overlocked the raw armhole edges, turned them over and top-stitched them down rather than making self-bias binding to finish the armholes as I did with the work shirt version. Oh, and this one was made for my friend Jennie as payment for an illustration she did for me. That's the other main difference. 



I used the front and back body pattern pieces as a guide to recut the shirt, but omitted the waist shaping darts to get a looser more casual fit. Like with most of my shirt refashions, I incorporated the original buttons/button stand and hem. I also deliberately picked a shirt with a pocket because I love the misplacement of it when the garment is recut: it forms a clear indication that this garment had a former life, which I feel should be celebrated rather than hidden where applicable.  


The collar piece doesn't take much fabric, so it's a great opportunity to use up some smaller pretty pieces you may have in your stash that aren't big enough to make a whole garment from. Ok that's all from me today, now resume panic-sewing Me-Made-Mayers! (ONLY KIDDING!!!!!!)

9 comments:

Rochelle New said...

Oh that is CUTE!! You can't go wrong with red, white, blue, and stripes :)

Sew Oklahoma Savvy said...

Love this!

Natalie Michelle Watson said...

Super cute!

Scruffybadger said...

Oh I do love this, so clever to use an old shirt...I have this pattern too and every time you use it I am reminded about it! Thanks Zoe!!

Anonymous said...

I had a moment of panic the other day, realizing that I may well be wearing the same three outfits for the entire month if this MMM is going to go off. On the other hand, even if my MMM is a bit dull, I will live vicariously through all the other fantastically talented ladies who are participating!!!

Anonymous said...

How fantastic. I have a HUGE pile of mens shirts I just haven't gotten around to cutting up, mainly because it seems like too big a projects for right now, but this is adorable, and not too tricky. Hmmm... I feel like this could be on my to do list :D
xxx

Unknown said...

What a beautiful top! Love it! x

Unknown said...

Just wonderful dress those are. really very nice.
Fabrics USA Inc |African Wax Print Fabric | African George Fabrics

Router Login said...

Thanks, this is really great.

papersize.co

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...