Tuesday 30 April 2013

Me-Made-May'13: The Record Breaking Challenge starts TOMORROW!!!!!!!


I don't know about you, but I am EXCITED!!!! So many former participants have amped up their pledges ready to flash their me-mades in new and interesting ways, plus HEAPS of first-timers new to the party are about to show us their unique take on handmade style. Honestly, what's not to be excited about?!

It's pretty impossible to give you an exact number of participants of MMMay'13 as some of the 440+ comments on the sign up post are duplicates or people commenting but not actually signing up. But hot DAMN that's still a LOT of people signing up! By comparison, last year's MMMay'12 sign up post received 290 comments. Plus there are more members of this year's challenge's Flickr group than ever before as well (MMM'13's Flickr group currently has over +100 more than MMM'12's!)! It's going to be one hell of a self-stitched fest.

It's so wonderful to see this (dare I say?) movement growing, and doing so organically. It shows that increasing numbers of people genuinely want to get a better relationship with handmade things, to bring them into their everyday lives rather than relying solely on mass-manufactured items. As participants, we are all stepping away from the prescribed formulae of consumption that benefits the large global corporations and their share holders that own most clothing retailers yet is so detrimental to the workers making that clothing and the shoppers who find that quality is consistently being sacrificed for profit. Instead we have discovered a more positive and authentic route of making our clothes ourselves. We are about to embark on a whole month of celebrating these facts! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23 comments:

Hazel_Myope said...

Yipe! Only twenty four hours till Me Made May! I'd better get sewing.

Michelle said...

I'm still undecided!! Eep!!

Carolyn said...

That is such a fantastic sign-up, Zoe! Sewing for yourself, and proudly wearing your own creations is a well worthwhile endeavour. I'm excited about it too!

Claire said...

I'm really looking forward to it. Just one more load of washing and I'm all set! Great to see such a big sign up.

Marah said...

I doubt I will make something from scratch but I will wear a refashioned piece every day and probably have my sons both wearing some me made or refashioned garments every day :)
Bonnie MS
Ridingthebonnieway.blogspot.com

Miriam said...

whoot!!!! That's right Zoe and I'm right in on your movement lovely - I'm also hoping that May won't be too cold here in NZ and I pretty much have dresses and no handmade trousers!!

Rebecca said...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I. CANT. WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you :D!!!!!!!!!!!

Catherine said...

Thanks for organizing! I love the last part of your post, so true! In our german community we discuss these aspects al lot too, but only in german of course. I am reay looking forward to a more international view this month!

velosews said...

Woo hoo! You've done a great job keeping the MMM energy going!

Danielle Krivan said...

So exciting! And thank you so much for initiating it all. What an amazing number of participants, too! I'd say you're definitely on your way to "movement" status. :)
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead

Anonymous said...

I am excited Zoe! This is my first ever :) m.

Sølvi said...

I´ll just say this: Yaaaaaaaay! :-)

vintagerockchick said...

I think this is a great move away from the "I bought this and it's so cheap I can wear it once and then throw it away" brigade. Not only that, but the more of us that are sewing, the more chance there is that fabric shops and haberdashers will open up again.

Miriam said...

Zoe your challenge has made the paper in Christchurch, New Zealand. I gave it a shout out in the what you are wearing section when I got photographed on the street. Yay! for Me Made May. I'm happy to email you a pdf but you don't have your email attached to your profile. if you like I did a post just for you to see it :o)
http://createhopeinspire.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/if-i-were-type-to-blow-my-own-trumpet.html

Jenny said...

I couldn't decide during April, but I'm going to do it. I popped on a MM to this morning, and I think that was a sign. :-) At least one MM garment or jewelry item each day - keeping it simple.

Isabel said...

Damn, I think I'm too late to 'officially' join in but I'm here to declare that I will want to start sewing and wearing more of my creations!

I'm looking forward to following along on your blog and may even be brave enough to post some of my own outfits over on mine :)

Isabel.

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

Hi Zoe. I sent a request to the Flickr group to join. I'm Sew Country chick. Can you let me in? Thanks!

sorbetsurprise said...

ooo I have signed up but I forgot to post! eeek!

Nancy Winningham said...

I'm trying to sign up for the Me Made May challenge and flicker page. Somehow I lost the link and keep getting directed to the 2012 page.
Nancy Winningham
www.encue.blogspot.com

www.norton.com/setup said...

This is a great thing, I think everyone feels this information is very valuable, thank you appreciate your work norton.com/setup

www.mcafee.com/activate said...

This is a great thing, I think everyone feels this information is very valuable, thank you mcafee.com/activate

office.com/setup said...

This is a great thing, I think everyone feels this information is very valuable, thank you www.office.com/setup

www.mcafee.com/activate said...

Very nice article, I found it very useful .Even I have this wonderful website, Good quality of windows and doors are very essential for any workplace mcafee.com/activate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...