Friday 19 October 2012

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Leather Moustache Applique Jumper


Ok, try to look beyond the fact that moustache themed things are getting a bit dated now. Instead, focus on the ideas and techniques behind these refashions/remakes for some inspiration on how to transform some tired old knitwear into something cute and wearable. 


Decent examples of good quality secondhand mens wool knitwear are getting harder to find, but if you can get hold of some unwanted knitwear that isn't too moth eaten or misshapen, you've got an exciting potential-remake on your hands. These jumpers weren't in too bad a state when I got my mitts on them. The pink one required a few stitches to camouflage the scenes of a moth's mealtime, and the green one had paper-thin elbows that required cutting around.  


Because the original garments were too long for my intended outcome, I removed the ribbed hem as well as the sleeves before recutting the body into a more flattering width and shape. In incorporated the existing necklines so I didn't have to bother finishing the neck holes. Using the original cuffs and sleeves, I created shorter puff sleeves. I reapplied the ribbing to finish the hem of the body during reconstruction. 


The moustache shapes are cut from the leather of an old leather coat. I pritt-sticked them in place (in the absence of any fabric glue, copydex or spray mount) and allowed them to dry for a short while before appliquéing them down onto the jumpers by carefully stitching close to the edges. 

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Perfect for Mo-vember though!

Marie said...

I agree with Ellen, so perfect for Movember...I want one!

Ms. McCall said...

Fantastic refashion! Can I ask - how do you intend to wash the jumper? I made some jeans and added leather trim, and now I'm scared to put them in the washer!

Rochelle New said...

That is WAY cute!

ScarletteOTara said...

What Ms Mc Call said - how do you wash items with leather patches? I had a t-shirt with leather polka dots on once and the leather leaked dye into the rest of the t-shirt when I tried to clean it :(

Also: I'm intrigued about how you remove and reapply the ribbing without it all unravelling? I have a few old wool jumpers that I'd love to refashion but I'm too frightened!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...