Tuesday 18 September 2012

Sew with 'So, Zo': October @ Super+Super HQ!


I am excited to announce that, starting in October, I will be teaching sewing and sewing-related classes at Super+Super HQ in Brighton. Now I know that most of the lovely readers of my blog are either already highly skilled sewers and/or don't live near South-East England, but on the off-chance that some of you might be interested, here's what I'll be teaching and when:

Class: Vest/Camisole/Singlet Making Session

This session will take you through the process of making your own vest from jersey fabric or unwanted T-shirts. Using my multi-sized vest pattern, we will go slowly through the steps from pattern preparation and cutting out the pieces, to construction using a sewing machine and overlocker/serger (no previous overlocker/serger experience necessary). By the end of this class, not only will you have a wearable, useful garment of your very own, but you will also have been provided with the skills and pattern you'll need to make hundreds more vests in the future.  

Will need to bring: 1 metre of jersey and/or some large unwanted T-shirts. Everything else will be available at the class.

Recommended for: All skill levels are welcome, but must have used a sewing machine before and feel relatively confident doing so. This class is ideal for someone interested in sewing with jersey fabric but isn't sure where/how to begin.

When: Friday 12th October, 7.00pm - 9.30pm

Cost: £26 

More info and where to book: http://vestmakingclass.eventbrite.co.uk/




Class: Introduction to Commercial Sewing Patterns

This session will designed to demystify and explain how to use commercial sewing patterns. This is a discussion and demonstration based class, not a practical 'doing' one. Topics covered will include:
  • What to do if your measurements span two or more sizes on the pattern
  • What to do if you are taller or shorter than the pattern has been designed for
  • What the differences between vintage and modern patterns are
  • How to select appropriate fabric for your pattern
  • What all the symbols on the pattern mean and what to do about them
And lots more. The perfect class for a Sunday morning with a tea or coffee in hand. 

Will need to bring: Nothing accept a notebook and pen if you wish to make extra notes.

Recommended for: This class is perfect for someone who has already taken a beginners sewing class or generally feels ok using a sewing machine, and now wants to amp their skills to become a confident dress-maker.

When: Sunday 21st October, 10.30am - 1.00pm

Cost: £24.50

More info and where to book: http://introtosewingpatterns.eventbrite.co.uk/


These classes will be repeated in November, I'll post about them after the October classes have taken place and the November classes are ready to be booked. If you know anyone who may be interested in taking these classes, please send them the links!!! Thanks in advance.

18 comments:

Jo H. said...

Those sound great, shame I'm on the wrong side of the channel! It's really cool to see your new activities get going - congratulations and good luck!

Dibs said...

That is so nice Zoe. Good luck on your new venture.Is there any chance you might be doing more advanced classes in the future?

Stephanie said...

Congrats on your new classes! I hope lots and lots of people will sign up! Unfortunately I don't live nearby or know anyone who does, or else I would certainly recommend your classes

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

Brilliant, Zoe! So many people want to learn, over here we have just taken on our 6th intake of beginner sewists in 5 months, and most are going on to do the follow up course. I am sure you will do well and win over lots of students :)

Amanda said...

How exciting is this! Congratulations on your next adventure sewing wise. Hope it rocks out :D

velosews said...

Congratulations on running classes. I wish you lots of success.

Law said...

Awesome Zoe! Love the Introduction to Commercial Sewing Patterns class, that is such a good idea!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I bet you'll be a fab teacher!

Meg the Grand said...

congratulations on your classes! Your students will be so lucky to be learning about sewing with you :)

Anonymous said...

I wish I was the right side of the Atlantic now to come along, but best of luck with these classes....have lots of fun!

Marie said...

Oooh, I'm so happy for you Zo...you're going to be ace at teaching! I only wish I had a teacher like you when I was starting out. Let us know how it goes ;o)

Amy said...

Good luck! I hope they're a smashing success!

The Long & Winding Bobbin said...

I would SO come to this... If I didn't live over the other side of the world... Best of luck with the classes :-)

Eilidhbelle said...

Noooo, come up to Scotland and do one! You can stay at my house and EVERYTHING!
x



sittingonherbumbaleerie.blogspot.co.uk

Cucicucicoo said...

what fun! i'd come for sure if i lived anywhere near you! good luck and have a great time! :) lisa

Janice said...

Congrats on your new classes! This looks like a lot of fun.

didyoumakethat said...

I agree with Marie - I wish I'd had a teacher like you when I started. Your sense of style and down-to-earth approach are so inspiring. I can't wait to read all about your adventures! The venue looks wonderful, too.

Unknown said...

I'm a little behind on my blog roll (as per usual) but I wanted to say congratulations and good luck for next week, I'm sure it will all go fabulously and I hope you tell us all about it x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...