Friday 24 August 2012

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Lace Overlay Sweatshirt Top



This garment is a basic dude's-to-women's sweatshirt remake but with a simple, prettifying twist! The lace overlay idea can be applied to over garment refashion/upcycle/remake projects and can camouflage as well as adorn. Read on and I'll explain...


As with most of my sweatshirt remake projects, I started with a large unwanted, second hand men's sweatshirt. I cut the sleeves off and put them to the side for later. I then cut up the side seams and carefully removed the neck ribbing. The new front and back body pieces were cut from the sweatshirt, the new shorter sleeves were cut from the old and it was all put back together again using the original neck ribbing with the addition of a lace overlay on the front.  


I chose to apply a lace overlay to this particular remake because the sweatshirt had an annoying stain on the front (see above) that refused to budge when washed. It wasn't a dark mark, more of a tea stain, but guaranteed to be noticeable on the finished garment if left bare. The lace overlay distracts the eye sufficiently for the stain to no longer be an issue. 

This technique could also work well when remaking knitwear that has been attacked by moths. The moth holes could be stitched together and the lace overlay would distract from the blemishes. I have also used lace overlays to semi-disguise an obvious join I was forced to make when avoiding an obvious logo on another second hand sweatshirt remake.   


To continue with the girly theme of this refashion, I added a few pearly buttons along the shoulder seam. A further cute/luxe addition could be to stitch tiny fake pearls at regular intervals to the lace design. Using a pale lace over a dark sweatshirt/knitwear/T-shirt or vice versa would also give a really dramatic effect.

25 comments:

Trees said...

Such a pretty refashion - I really like the buttons.

Judith said...

Super idea! Thanks for sharing...

Tamsin said...

Hi, I love the refashions that you have been doing here. I was just wondering what kind of lace have you used, for example, would a repurposed lace curtain be suitable? Does it need to be stretchy?
I also wanted to say good luck with yours and Pat's self employment plans, I think you are v brave and am sure every thing will work out for you!

Marie said...

Lovely!!!

Kirsty said...

Zoe, I can't tell you how long I've wanted to do this! thanks.

Christina said...

I'm not a sweatshirt girl, but your refashions make me crave to go to the next second hand store and sew one (or two, or three) up...
I especially love the lace you used here!!!
Have a nice weekend.

Hanna said...

I loved the first sweatshirt with lace you did a while ago, and I'm loving this one as well. I've been thinking about sewing something similar for myself since I first saw this type of design on your blog, but I haven't gotten around to it, yet. This post really gave me the itchy fingers again, so a sweatshirt makeover might be in my near sewing future. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

oh wow, thanks for this! I got a load of gorgeous pink sparkly lace last time I went to Ditto and have been planning something similar (although from new...I am too fat to be very good for the environment) but couldn't figure out how to make the details work. Looking at yours and reading your post gives me all the inspiration I need now! :-)

Zoe said...

Thanks everyone!

@Tamsin, yes this lace is stretchy with a bit of an elastane content. I don't know that is has to be though, as long as you don't make the final garment too fitted so it risks ripping when getting the garment on and off.

Theoretically repurposed curtains should work, though I'd try washing the curtains first. I've had problems with panels made from lace curtains ripping during laundering in the past and you don't want to go to the effort of making a garment that rips at first wash, and who wants to hand-wash a sweatshirt?! All the best, please let me know if you make a similar creation.

Thanks again everyone
Zoe xxx

Janine said...

I love the lacey look and what a great way to use a garment that would otherwise be thrown away ( or perhaps for gardening etc ) .

melissa said...

I love this look!! I've got a bunch of smallish stretch lace leftovers from other projects I wasn't quite sure what to do with... thanks for opening the idea floodgates!

Molly said...

Great idea!

Becky said...

That looks amazing, Zoe! What a fantastic idea!

Becky
xx

Meg the Grand said...

I have a grey sweatshirt with a stain on the front, and I think this is the perfect solution! Your version is lovely with the pearl buttons added - I'm excited to see what you wear it with!

Anonymous said...

Love this refashion, Zoe!

I'm not much of a sweatshirt person--I live in the Sonoran Desert, so winter weather is rather limited most years--but I would wear this, weather permitting!

There might be a sweatshirt refasion in my future--when the weather cools off a bit in late October (still 90 degrees or so most days).

Taja

Anonymous said...

such a cute refashion! This works for all seasons - winter, fall, spring, and summer. The buttons centered on the shoulder seam is what gets me though!

LLBB said...

Looooove!

Audrey said...

Gray sweat shirting never looked so good! Great refashion.

Mode Chocolat said...

Usually, I like your interpretation much already but this one is really great!

Shelley said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. Love the Friday Refashion, especially. And wanted to tell you how brave I think you and Pat are for going out on your own. I have been self-employed most of my life. And while it can be really scary at times out there on the high wire by yourself, it's not nearly as scary to me as working for someone else.

frk.bustad said...

This is a brilliant refashion! The button detail in addition to the laces make this top so classy and elegant.

Martin said...

Wow this is nice and I think here many people looking for high quality Badger Sweatshirts and other awesome casual clothes so check out this and I am sure you guys will like this store of clothes.

Helen said...

love this sweatshirt! the lace, the short sleeves, the color combo. do you have an etsy shop? i would totally buy this from you!!!

whathelenworetoday.com

Miche said...

Seriously BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely adore everything about this (Especially the buttons!). You should probably consider selling them :)

Unknown said...

Love it! Thank you for sharing! mj

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...