Wednesday 4 May 2011

Big Flowers, Little Skirt

I would like to take a moment of your time to share with you a skirt I recently made. This won't take long; it's not a very big skirt.


This fabric appeared at work in one of the fortnightly stock deliveries. These are when we receive all the donated garments and bits of fabric that we make garments from. When I saw this print I was almost sick, thus is the power stunning mid-century prints have on me. It came in the form of a pair of curtains, in very good condition save for a distinctly (and forgivably) musty smell. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't get 'first dibs' on all the fabric and garments that come through our studio as such, but occassionally I am permitted to take some of a large piece of fabric in exchange for a monetary contribution to the 'karma tin'. So having cut out a couple of skirts for the traidremade line, I was given the go ahead to use the last part for my own purposes.

The remainder was quite small, so I wasn't able to make a garment in a style that would be completely in keeping with the late 50's era of this fabric. In an ideal world, I would have made a delicious wiggle dress that would give a decent canvas to those massive cabbage-y roses. Alas, there wasn't even enough for a knee-length pencil skirt, so this wasn't going to be another 'New School Vintage' creation. I suppose I could have made a basic A-line mini, but then that still wouldn't have been correct with the era either, so I decided to go the other way and create a more modern shaped garment from this distinctly vintage fabric. So I turned to Simplicity 2451 (pictured below).


Those of you in possession of the keenest of memory (and have read my blog for a while, bless ya!), may recall that I have used this pattern once before. I was pretty pleased with the last skirt I made from this pattern, aside from probably needing to make the size smaller, which I did this time round. I would definately recommend this pattern. It's pleasingly quick to make, yet possesses enough detailing to make it a satisfying make. I'd even recommend this pattern to a beginner who has already completed the obligatory A-line skirt. It will help you tuck a few new skills under your belt without taking you too far out of your comfort zone. For me, having already made a plain version, I was interested to see how this style would cope with a print. Answer: pretty good, IMO.

So far I've worn this skirt once, then the weather tunred a bit colder again. I loved the fit and kept finding myself staring down at the lovely print, but it was difficult to find something to wear it with. I'm thinking maybe I could rock some mustard with it (I'm thinking something like Cecili's incredible blouse). What would you wear with this skirt? I didn't take a modelled photo because I'm pretty sure it'll pop up in MMJune '11, and I'd like to keep at least one card close to my chest for that!

27 comments:

Tasia said...

Super cute! I'd wear it with a white button-front blouse, black tights and ankle boots. Or a navy-and-white striped boatneck tee. Keep the rest of the look simple, so the focus is on the skirt!

Ivy Black said...

Really gorgeous. That is a super print and it works brilliantly as a mini. Fab with coloured tights and boots.
xx

Uta said...

Very pretty! I'd pattern mix and wear it with a white-and-navy striped longsleeve tee.

Sølvi said...

Ooo - that IS a gorgeous print, I must say! I actually have that pattern, but haven´t given it a try (yet) but I do love the style a lot.

I love greens of all sorts, so I would probably wear this with a green top of some kind that matches leafs. And why not throw in something red? You never know?

Great skirt!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous print - it looks fabulous! I mentally rummaged through my cupboard but all I have is a similar patterned curtain in... dusty pink. Yeah, not quite the same, and certainly not my colour! I would wear it with yellow tights and a black top. Nice work Zoe!

Marie said...

How amazingly cute...I love it! I think you can rock this with a fitted vest top or tee or for a more girly look with a more looser blouse. Endless possibilities really ;o)

Scruffybadger said...

I love it- great use of fabric & have the pattern but have never made it - thanks for the mini review of it.

Somehow I'd be looking for colour - mustard or orange or red or a grey/green stripe or polka dot ...there are all sorts of possibilities!

Tilly said...

Oh it's gorgeous! Hmm... what to wear it with. I wouldn't take my advice on this as I tend to team printed skirts with a boring black top. Maybe cream coloured tights?

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I love imagining this fabric hanging in some musty old front room somewhere, just desperately wishing to be allowed to show its true potential! Looks great now you rescued it!

Unknown said...

A mustard or off white blouse, and tights! I would also go a green tinged blouse (like the inside of the leaf), but I'm a wee-bit kooky and don't mind looking like a colour explosion. That skirt is gorgeous! x

Gail said...

Love the raucous 50s flowers on a tiny weeny skirt. My DD would love to wear this.

CarmencitaB said...

Total swoon!

Veronica Darling... said...

I love it Zo!

I'd wear black black and black with it! Can I pls borrow it for winter (with black tights, black heels and my black turtleneck?)

THANKS!!!! xoxo

Alessa said...

Very cute skirt! I have a canvas print with similar huge painted flowers that I was wondering what to do with... :)

I'd probably go for any solid top that has a color similar to the ones in the skirt. So, green, warm-ish grey, mustard, blue, cream... If that's too matchy for you, I think you could rock it with bright yellow or red, too! And of course, black and white always work...

Jane said...

I'm not surprised you felt sick when you saw the fabric (in a good way!). I love flowery blue fabric and that's absolutely gorgeous. I'd probably be boring and wear it with a plain top. Oh I know, wear it with massive wedges then your legs will look really long! x

Christina said...

Great skirt! I'd probably wear it like Veronica Darling with a black turtleneck and black opaque tights. (but I'm very long legged and big breasted).
I think it would look great on you paired with navy, dark green and/or a white shirt....

Cecili said...

I LOVE it! I think the "simple" lines of the skirt work very well with that larger-than-life print, I'm eager to see it worn :) Awww, thanks for quoting my blouse btw^^

charlotte said...

Big love for big flowers! cute skirt. x x x

Sara Noemi said...

I'm obsessed with that pattern. I've made it twice and it looks flattering on *everyone*!

Roisin Muldoon said...

Aaah curtains are where it's at! Ever since I sewed two dresses out of one ugly pair of curtains I have been scouring the charity shops for more. The skirt is fabulous, can't wait to see the photos during Me Made June!

Corrine said...

For a super summery look I would make a white t shirt, sleeveless or not, with a cute little ruffle at the neckline and maybe a fancy little flower made from the t fabric and mixed with some ribbon. see the flower tute on Colette's blog titled fabric accessory flower. http://www.colettepatterns.com/ so cute. Pair with some snappy white sandals, off to the beach.

Lynneb said...

Well, it's ablsolutely adorable. For summer, I would almost be tempted to wear a little tee...but in an ivory or navy and white stripe....or even a romantic peasanty stle white voile top.

Rosie said...

I love this skirt Zoe! I would personally go completely over the top tiki tropical and wear it with a Hawaiian type shirt or something with fruit on it! Nice work - Rosie xx

Carolyn said...

Cute!
Since I'm a bit late I'll put it here in hopes it isn't missed...!
'I, Carolyn of "Handmade by Carolyn", sign up as a participant of Me-Made-June '11. I endeavour to wear as much handmade as possible each day for the duration of June 2011' Although since June is full on winter for us southern hemisphere dwellers I may have to pop on a few RTW thermals or Tshirts once in a while for extra warmth!
Thank you Zoe!

http://handmadebycarolyn.blogspot.com/

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

Ah honey this skirt is super sweet it's giving me a tooth ache :) nice work doll as always xxx

Helen said...

I love this fabric and the little skirt, I have tried to find it but to no avail! Do you know where I can buy the pattern in the uk? I would wear it with black too, I am trying so hard to break out of my black obsession! lol xx

Jill said...

I'm totally stalking your blog right now and had to pipe up-I freaking LOVE this skirt. It's absolute perfection!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...