Saturday 29 May 2010

Leopard Dress!

Oh Lordy, have I got a treat for you today?! (Yes.) A new garment AND an early peek at the fruits of our recent photo shoot project. But first, permit me to give you a little background on this creation.

Since I was big enough to be able to grapple with my mum's massive (it's actually probably quite a reasonable size to an adult) 'History of Fashion' book, I've been into checking out vintage style. As I have got older and my tastes have refined themselves, I am confident in declaring that my interests lie predominantly, if not exclusively, in the mid-twentieth century: 1940's-1970's inclusive. I am a devoted admirer and collector of the images, and of course sewing patterns, from these eras, but have never felt the desire to go full-on into creating and wearing vintage/retro garments. My other style influences seemed too disparate and I didn't feel I had the effort or commitment required to go fully down the vintage/retro route.

It is only in the last year that I've felt the desire to encorporate vintage/retro styles into my regular wardrobe. Maybe that's a natural reaction of growing up and finally 'ticking off' a lot of styles and silhouettes that I now realise are not for me. That, or the way that certain vintage/retro styles interact and counteract with current mainstream styles make them more appealing to myself and other more 'alternative' types.

I guess another related concept here is that of clothing as 'play': a way to act out the various manifestations of your personality, the various 'characters' even. In particular, I have always enjoyed getting dressed up for a night out, a chance to form a persona without the practical constraints daytime life often requires from our clothing.

But back to my current leanings to include vintage/retro elements into my wardrobe. I do not strive to create an historically accurate effect, or even a 'total look'. Blending mid-twentieth century style elements with some of my other influences (like my recent obsession with nautical themes) is my aim. One influence in which I have been finding a lot of inspiration of late is the Rockabilly subculture. Upon anaylsis, I guess it is Rockabilly's adoption, interpretation and subversion of mid-century aesthetics that strikes a chord. There is certainly a strong sense of play involved as well as many elements of Rockabilly 'style' which I adore, for example: the strong colours, pin-up influence, predominantly hourglass silhouette, old-school tattoo's etc. As I say, I do not wish to be tied to any one 'look' but this subculture's style certainly resonates with me deeply, so I decided to create a dress that firmly threw my hat in the ring, in terms of declaring my Rockabilly interest. Which is all a very long way round introducing my leopard dress!:

Seen here modelled by the stunning Linnea. I wish I could get beautiful and stylish women and professional photographers to shoot all my latest creations! Alas I cannot, which is why I'm making the most of this rare opportunity!

The dress itself was created using the same pattern (including adaptions) as this coral dress, with the addition of a bustier seam line. The main fabric is black sateen with a slight stretch, the same stuff I used for my Jenny skirt, and the leopard print is remnants from the Leopard coat. Seeing as the leopard print fabric is actually meant to be furnishing fabric, I thought it might be too thick for this application. I decided to use satin bias binding for the neckedge to eliminate the need for a potentially bulky facing finish and the fabric appears to be fine afterall.

I made this dress for me, but with one eye towards including it in the photo shoot, so I made it to my shape. Linnea is more slender, curvier and shorter than me, so we were surprised that it actually fit her very well. Actually, I really like the longer more 1940's-esque hem line that it adopted when she wore it. One more thing, did you see her shoes?! Incredible. Thanks Andres and Linnea!

14 comments:

Ali said...

totally rockin'! love it!

KID, MD said...

Adorable!! I love it!

bagqueen said...

Hi I'm really sorry but I feel I've let you down on the whole Me made may thing. I did quite well wearing stuff for the first part but since then I've been caught up in studying and I've had this rotten chesty cold which hasn't helped me be very interested in what I've been wearing, as long as it was non restrictive and I could sleep in it!! When I have worn handmade stuff I've been useless at documenting it!! I really wanted to join you in this but it took more planning than I thought it would!!

So sorry and I might have another go in a couple of months when I have had a chance to get some making done!!

Miss Emmi said...

That is smoking!

Susannah said...

Rrowwrrr!!

Fourth Daughter said...

Wow, great image and fabulous dress, I thought they were pics from a book or something! I'm not really into the retro thing myself (don't have the figure for Rockabilly) but do love collecting old patterns! Interesting points you made though, I have a taste for ethnic outfits myself...

Minnado said...

Fantastic dress and photos - I enjoyed reading this post and your analysis of reasons for being drawn to certain styles

Kat said...

I love this dress! It looks fantastic. I really want to make a dress like this. I have the macaron pattern from Colette and I am planning to make a floral version of it soon. I just need to get my butt into gear and make it.

Uta said...

Gorgeous! I really like the garments that look like a corset with a top underneath - I recall you making a couple of them. The black-and-leopard combination is great, if only for after-hours (and lots of red lipstick!).

Miss Lottie Lou said...

That is awesome!! I love it :)
Lottie x

Gail said...

I love it! Sassy without being over the top.

Amy said...

Fantastic!

Tasia said...

Gorgeous dress, very sexy! How fabulous that you have professional shots of your work too!

Cecili said...

I die! That dress is so cool, I've just seen it on you for SSS 2011 and you rock it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...