Monday 5 August 2013

More Maternity Madness: Some Selfless Stitching


Don't be thinking that all the maternity sewing that's been happening round here has all been for myself, oh no! With only two months left to go, I'm trying to get by on my limited selection of maternity clothes (with the exception of a new dress which I'll blog about next week). However, I'm in the lucky position to have a bit of free time for sewing at the moment so I was able to come to the aid of my good friend Anna (also preggers) when she announced that she was rapidly growing out of her clothes and having a bit of a maternity wardrobe crisis. 

I made her a version of my nautical batwing and black batwing dresses in a super soft, light-weight grey knit that had been sitting in my stash for about a year. Anna lives in Madrid so it was very important to make something in a light-weight fabric. You can't see them here, but I added a few little pearl buttons to the sleeve bands/cuffs for some extra detailing. I also elongated the pattern a bit because Anna is a tall lady, her height being the cause of some of her problems sourcing decent maternity clothing. Not only do a lot of the dresses and skirts end up indecently short on her (she has a proper grown-up's job where that would NOT be cool, even if she felt comfortable in them), but also she's found that being taller means that the positioning for the bump in some dresses ends up in the wrong place for her. As you can see in the photo above, she looks AMAZING in the batwing dress! Damn that girl can accessorise! And the shoes? I can't even talk about those shoes right now...


The second garment I flowed Anna's way was actually kind of a happy accident. I'd made a gathered side jersey top (pictured above) as a toile using my own maternity top tutorial instructions but tweaking the measurements a bit. It came out a bit too long in the body for me and the gathers to accommodate my bump were a bit low, but seeing as I hadn't expected the first version to be perfect, I wasn't bothered as it helped me perfect the pattern for my next attempts (the spotty dress remake and grey fancy sleeve top). I thought it might serve as something for me to sleep in, but when Anna said she needed maternity wear, I realised this would ace for her, considering it had been a bit long for me. The jersey print is pretty mentally bright (more random stash fabric), but hopefully she can get she wear from it at home or at her preggers yoga class. 

So, who wants to see a pic of me and Anna in the 1990's?! EVERYONE (no doubt)!!!:


Hahahahaaaaa. The 1990's! Look how drunk I am! Seeing as we are both about to become mothers, Anna and I will probably never be that drunk together again.  

6 comments:

Miriana said...

Wow, you look mashed up! You'll look like that again, but it'll be fatigue rather than booze. And you'll be up in the small hours as well.

Lelie - A Bouquet of Buttons said...

How much fun the both of you are pregnant together! You made such pretty clothes!

The Long & Winding Bobbin said...

That 90's picture is amazing... just saying!
I like that you can be drunk together and pregnant together... that is the tale of true friendship right there...haha

AVY said...

The 90s were dark times, as were the 80s.

/Avy

http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

Philippa said...

Your friend looks beautiful in the maternity clothes you made her. The grey dress is especially elegant. & loved your 90's pic :))

Anna said...

Ha ha just saw this, top and dress still getting plenty of wear, can't fit in much else, aargh for the 90s photo though!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...