Wednesday 28 August 2013

A Modern Muumuu: The Least Flattering Garment I'll Ever Make?


Umm, I'm not even sure if this garment can legitimately be described as a muumuu because I think technically a proper muumuu may have to have sleeves (note to self: check( this fact... NEVER). But it certainly feels as frumpy as the image often conjured up by the word 'muumuu'. Plus, unless my washing machine breaks down or a horrendous clothing-based accident occurs over the next five-ish weeks, this is the last maternity garment I'll be making for this pregnancy. Let's end on a low, hehehe! 


Those who have been following my previous pontifications on maternity garment sewing will have seen this Simplicity 3799 pattern (pictured above) crop up in posts a couple of times already. A few weeks ago I became very aware that I was due to go on a little holiday to Southern Spain in full-blown Summer, with bugger-all hot weather clothing to take. I reached for this pattern in somewhat of a panic, thinking its loose fitting nature and sleeveless-ness might provide some assistance in a hot climate. It also looked like a pretty simple make. 


I selected the size M (14-16) and adapted the front panel a bit by adding more fullness to accommodate my now-substantial bump. The size M's neck band ended up being a bit too wide than would be ideal, but considering how little I plan to wear this garment, I wasn't that fussed. It did, as predicted, stitch together really quickly. It's basically the same construction method as the sleeves version of my long lost pattern-crush, Simplicity 4589. If the fabric is looking eerily familiar, it is because it is yet more of the synthetic slinky stuff (damn, I'm being so technically accurate today, this has virtually turned into a science blog!) that I made my Lady-like pussy bow blouse from. I may salvage the fabric from this garment and make something else from it one day. 

Annoyingly (or thankfully) I didn't get any pictures of me wearing this whilst on holiday. But I can report that, despite feeling like Queen Frump of Frumpsville whilst wearing it, this dress did see quite a bit of use during the four days, especially worn over my maternity tankini going to and from the pool and to quickly cover up for my frequent night-time visits to the loo. Sisters who've experienced third-trimester pregnancy will what I'm talking' 'bout with that second point. 

26 comments:

Alice said...

My first thought on seeing this is that it looks incredibly comfortable! Which is really one of the most important things when you're that pregnant. That and easy access for the constant trips to the toilet.

You are looking fabulous! Good luck with everything!

Katie said...

I think it's nice! The neckline is cute and it looks very comfy. Might work belted either above bump or post-bump?

Anonymous said...

It does look like it would be comfortable for a third trimester holiday in hot hot Spain. And I love the fabric, so I'm looking forward to seeing it reappear in some other guise after the little'un is born.

Elisha said...

You could always belt it above the bump...maybe. I'm the same preg as you (due Sept. 19th) and the belt look does not work for me at all. But it always seems to look adorable on everyone else!

Margo said...

I think it's kind of cute! And you look good in it! But probably more importantly, it does look comfortable which is important in the 3rd trimester.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better you look a damn sight better than I ever did at that stage of pregnancy. You look fabulous and the muumuu really isn't that bad. And as you said, there is enough fabric there to recycle into something else later.

Unknown said...

You look fab! Muumuus are so comfortable though, so enjoy it while it lasts. I buy my fabrics from www.organiccottonplus.com, can you share your sources?

eline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eline said...

I think you're looking great!
And comfortable is the key word when you're in your third trimester (I remember living in my tracksuit by then)! Anyway, as I always tell my boyfriend: it's not the clothes you wear, but the attitude you wear them with that matters. ;-)
Good luck with the last few weeks!

Tilly said...

Aw Zoe, it looks really comfy and you look gorgeous. Once you've had your baba, could you refashion it? Maybe it just needs an elasticated waist? xx

Uta said...

Aw Zoe, you look lovely! I'm sure you're a bit tired of being pregnant by now, but when the bump's out, so to say, you'll look back and realize how fabulous you, and your muumuu, were!

Anonymous said...

You are looking so well! This looks perfect for a steamy vacation-- I would totally wear this to the pool, too!

Flossie Jamison said...

I think this is the perfect dress for such weather and late stage bumpiness! Really, by this point there are no real flattering options - the only way onwards from here is bigger and bigger, until you pop! But given that I was in exactly the same position as you this time last year, and you have suffered much more extreme heat this summer than I did, you look amazing on it. I can't remember your due date, but I seem to recall it being around my daughter's birthday (19th sept), so you are well and truly on the home run now. Hang on in there and keep your eyes n the prize.

Jacq C said...

You look fab - and comfort is key at this stage, you look much more glam than I ever managed!

Sucre said...

U look cute!
http://summerforallseasons.blogspot.com/

Rachael said...

Aaww, this looks lovely and comfy. Good luck with the babe!

Brooke said...

By the third trimester it is like "who cares what I look like as long as it is comfy!" It might be cute with a sash over the top.

Tia Dia said...

Ugh! Heat in the third trimester! You look cool and comfortable, and at week 40 1/2, there is nothing such as frumpy. Glad you could get away for a bit!

Anonymous said...

I think this dress is lovely! I'm one for looser fitting garments, anything too tailored or fitted and I begin to twitch and fidget after a short while. Love your flowy fabric choice.

katherine h said...

This looks like the perfect hot weather dress. It may be a different style for you, but living in the tropics...that's how lots of us dress on hot days...so I'm not thinking frumpy at all.

The Long & Winding Bobbin said...

Go the muumuuuuu!!! looking good zo. You make such a hot pregnant lady!

Helen said...

Looks comfy and it's a pretty fabric. I don't think it looks that bad at all, but I appreciate it might not feel the best. Can you belt it over the bump (a stretchy elastic belt works best for that), or shirr it or something?

Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Natalie said...

That dress looks super comfortable! Have you tried belting it? I'm 7 mo pregnant and belt almost everything.

velosews said...

You look amazing!

Philippa said...

It's lovely fabric & it's cool. As you get further into pregnancy style options get a bit limited especially when it's hot (all my babes were born in the autumn so I know what it's like!). I hope you continue in good health for your last trimester and well done for making so much of your maternity stuff! Very inspiring.

Anna said...

This looks good! You should see the maternity smock I've been busting out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...