Wednesday 31 July 2013

Fancy-Sleeved Maternity T-shirt!


... for want of a better blog post title. After the success of my recent spotty dress to maternity T-shirt project, I felt inspired to make a variation that had something a little more fancy about it. A dash of pattern adjustment rendered the spotty version's pattern a little longer in the body and with a 'scooper' neckline. 


I then jacked the sleeve pattern and armscye shape from the below complicated jersey top pattern.   


For those who may be curious, the above pattern came from the below magazine: a copy of some sort of French Simplicity patterns magazine that I scored at a meet-up/swap a couple of years ago. I don't speak French. Finding out if the pattern pieces already included seam allowances was a challenge (figured out that they do! Who knew?!).


The fabric I used for this top is a total dream! I scored 2 metres of super-stretchy and silky-soft dark grey jersey from a charity shop in Clapham round the corner from Sew Over It for just £3! The gods of charity shopping smiled on me that day. 

I must admit that when I first tried this top on, I wasn't in love with it. The sleeves seemed a bit bizarre, although I have to say that in the flesh they look exactly like the ones on the pink top in the magazine. I think that my lack of initial acceptance might be because the sleeves are a bit of a departure from what I consider to be 'my style', but after a couple of wears this is now my favourite maternity top. It's funny how, when I first became pregnant, the thought of having to put aside my quest to find and represent my sense of style through sewing for a time really troubled me. But as the months have progressed and I've found myself making and wearing things that I wouldn't have gone for had I not been preggers, I've actually found it liberating. The fact that this is for such a finite period has allowed me the freedom to explore things like a different sleeve shape, for example. I'm not sure what effect these experiments and freedoms will have, if any, on my style and sewing in the long term but it'll be interesting to keep half an eye on that. 


15 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

I like that you're seeing this as an opportunity to explore new to you stylings, it must be fun and an adventure ! This top looks great, I like the sleeves - kind of elevates the top from a tee shirt and in the later months of pregnancy when you have less choice about what you wear, and have to wear the same things a lot, it's nice to have made a fuss on such a detail. Looking great Zoe, you look so well!! Xx

Jacq C said...

I really like your top - the sleeves are an interesting detail and I think that can be tricky to do with maternity wear. I remember having horrendous tent-type dresses with very fussy collars when I was pregnant (a million yers ago!) because I had to wear very smart work clothes and it was the only option available - if only I had sewn then. You look very stylish and I think that it's great your pregnancy has given you an opportunity to push your style in new directions. As Winnie says, you look wonderful :)

johanna@projects by me said...

A very pretty and interesting detail! Good job!

eline said...

I love the top! The sleeves look really nice. It's always fun to try new styles, even if after a while you find yourself drawn back to your initial style (or not!).
Sewing is a bit like dressing up for me (which I loved as a kid!). You can choose the exact image you want to show the world (even if it's not what's 'in vogue') and that in itself is a lot of fun.
Oh and btw I do also speak French if you need to get something translated in the future ;-)

joanne said...

Look at you - you are absolutely gorgeous! Hope pregnancy is treating you well my lovely xxx

ZoSews said...

Cute!!

The Long & Winding Bobbin said...

Looking good Zo you hot pregnant goddess.
Loving all of these maternity posts :-)

Zoë said...

Ooh love those sleeves, looking lovely Zo!

Anonymous said...

There's never a bad time to experiment with different looks.

Anonymous said...

Those sure are some fancy sleeves! It's a fun look! And what a great find-- I need to figure out a good thrift shop because mine never has fabric!

French Toast Tasha said...

I also love that you're using this time to try out new looks. It's always good to stay open-minded I think, even if you are going for a signature style. The sleeves look great and the top looks so comfy! I love having tops that feel like wearing a T but look a little more stylish, you definitely pulled that off here!

Gabrielle said...

I really like these sleeves on you; the top looks awesome.

Maternity is a GREAT opportunity for trying out new looks - are you getting interesting maternity hand-me-downs from friends to try out too?

frk.bustad said...

I have to say that the part of walking away from my style when I get pregnant is maybe one of the things that scares/annoys/frights me... but as you say, maybe a time for exploring? I don't think I'll be any near your sewing production though, when the times come... Anyhow, you do look sooo nice! I think the sleeves work very well!

Jill said...

I really love those sleeves. And lucky you on finding the fabric! I almost never find decent fabric at the thrift stores here in the States.

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

I love this even more than the spotty one. The sleeves are fantastic! :) Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...