Wednesday 31 October 2012

Sew with 'So, Zo': November @ Super+Super HQ!


I am excited to be able to say that I now have two classes at Super+Super HQ under my belt. In October I taught a Vest Making Session and an Introduction to Commercial Sewing Patterns Class. Both went really well and I met some super-lovely ladies who thankfully gave very positive feedback on their experience of each (hurrah!). My goodness I love teaching sewing stuff! I don't think there is any kind of occupation that I could enjoy more (they still haven't made Wine-Drinker a proper job yet, have they?). 

I'd like to let you know about the next dates you could take part in these two classes. Both take place in November at the same location, Super+Super HQ in central Brighton, UK. 


Class: Introduction to Commercial Sewing Patterns

When: Sunday 18th November, 10.30am - 1.00pm

Cost: £24.50

This session will designed to demystify and explain how to use commercial sewing patterns. This is a discussion and demonstration based class, not a practical 'doing' one. Topics covered will include:
  • What to do if your measurements span two or more sizes on the pattern
  • What to do if you are taller or shorter than the pattern has been designed for
  • What the differences between vintage and modern patterns are
  • How to select appropriate fabric for your pattern
  • What all the symbols on the pattern mean and what to do about them
And lots more. The perfect class for a Sunday morning with a tea or coffee in hand. 

Will need to bring: Nothing accept a notebook and pen if you wish to make extra notes.

Recommended for: This class is perfect for someone who has already taken a beginners sewing class or generally feels ok using a sewing machine, and now wants to amp their skills to become a confident dress-maker.

More info and where to book: http://introtosewingpatterns2.eventbrite.co.uk




Class: Vest/Camisole/Singlet Making Session


When: Wednesday 28th November, 7.00pm - 9.00pm

Cost: £26 

This session will take you through the process of making your own vest from jersey fabric or unwanted T-shirts. Using my multi-sized vest pattern, we will go slowly through the steps from pattern preparation and cutting out the pieces, to construction using a sewing machine and overlocker/serger (no previous overlocker/serger experience necessary). By the end of this class, not only will you have a wearable, useful garment of your very own, but you will also have been provided with the skills and pattern you'll need to make hundreds more vests in the future.  

Will need to bring: 1 metre of jersey and/or some large unwanted T-shirts. Everything else will be available at the class.

Recommended for: All skill levels are welcome, but must have used a sewing machine before and feel relatively confident doing so. This class is ideal for someone interested in sewing with jersey fabric but isn't sure where/how to begin.

More info and where to book:  http://vestmakingclass2.eventbrite.co.uk


Once again, I'm going to appeal to your good nature and ask that if you know anyone who may be interested in taking these classes, please send them the links!!! Thanks so much for the support. 



6 comments:

frk.bustad said...

Ah, wouldn't it be great, sewing teacher in the day time, paid wine-drinker by night? Congrats on having classes, it sounds like fun! More fun than my teaching experience the last weeks: Assisting medicine students in basic chemistry lab...

Marie said...

I keep saying this, but I wish I lived in Brighton! I bet you're a natural-born teacher Zo, keep up the good work!xx

Unknown said...

im so jealous! I want to teach sewing one day :) good to hear you have more planned! have fun!

Neeno said...

Wish I could attend your class but I'm all the way in Australia. Wahh!

I'd like to learn about: How to select appropriate fabric for your pattern.

If a pattern calls for knits/jerseys could I use cotton? and vice versa?

Catherine said...

Hello! I had a fab time at the vest class, thank you so much. I'm quite stoked to make your blog, too! See you soon. Catherine

Sarah said...

I just wanted to say that I used your Camisole pattern a few weeks ago to make myself a cute little lace top, and it's perfect! Fits perfectly and went together so easily, and even my co-workers who are used to me making all of my clothes where surprised that it was homemade :). Thanks for sharing your great pattern with all of us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...