Tuesday 24 July 2012

Batwing Crazy


I've been pretty obsessed with making jersey batwing tops recently. They are quick to make and so nice to wear, win-win! This is a pattern my boss initially developed and I've done a fair bit of tweaking to, it works best made in jersey fabric that has a lot of drape. 


The first up in this trio is a version that has already seen a fair amount of wear. It uses the amazing magpie fabric that I bought at the Walthamstow Blogger Meet-up. I was feeling very guilty about breaking my self-imposed 'no-new-fabric' rule but the sweet commenters on that post tried to make me feel better by suggesting it was entirely justifiable if I made something from it that would get lots of wear. I've kept that firmly in mind which is why I took my time deciding how to use it. The fact that I've already worn it three times in two weeks shows that I made the right choice in how to deploy this fabric's amazingness.    



I've been thinking for a while about how stripey fabric would work with this pattern. I think the answer is: very well. The stripes, like the magpie print in the first version to a lesser extent, really show up the elements of the top pattern. The direction of the stripes makes the separate lower sleeves and neck binding really stand out, and the way the main body gathers into the lower sleeve sections is more visible.


As you may remember, this top pattern was used for the leopard print version, the poker top and as the basis for the leopard collar batwing top. The leopard print version is still going strong, the poker top has died (as predicted) and I hate to admit it but the leopard collar version is starting to do that way too due to frequent wearing and laundering. It was for this reason that I thought a basic plain black version might be a useful wardrobe addition as well and take some of the heat off the other two!  


If Tilly hosts another OWOP! week I might use this pattern as the basis for my outfits. Maybes I'll get round to grading it and releasing it as a downloadable PDF if there is sufficient interest (though it might have a low price tag attached rather than being free). 

What patterns have you used that requires a drapey jersey? Happy jersey sewing peops! 

27 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

I adore jersey sewing zoe, and I've fallen for these versions of your batwing top head over heels...I think it's worthy use of the magpie fabric and even in black it is a stunning pattern. Actually I think the black is the best plain black knit top I've ever seen....x

Jano said...

Ooh yeah you shuld definitely release this one! A good batwing pattern is hard to find, especially for knits. I'd pay :)

Kirsty said...

Yes post a pattern. I'd pay too!!!

Judith said...

I think you'll find more than 'sufficient interest being shown in this pattern!!! All versions look terrific, and original...

✿ Judy
made by J

Helen Made said...

Oh yes, please do a pdf download of this top - I love it so! I'd happily pay for it too!

niddetissus said...

I *love* all your batwing tops! And my favorite t-shirts have nearly all been batwings, so I'd definitely be interesting if you released a pattern. :)

kiddie26 said...

another yes from me i love it and would happily pay. x

Sew little time said...

it's a great pattern - i would pay. and i totally love the magpie fabric!

Tania said...

I love all your bat wing tops, I would pay for the pattern.

Tracy said...

Yes - I'd be another customer for this pattern. I love it.

Debra said...

I love this pattern and would happily pay for it!

Molly said...

They look super comfy, like stylish sweatshirts!

Camilla said...

Glad to see a make from the meet up in Walthamstow - love what you've done with the Magpie jersey. I think the stripes work really well too.

juicyknits said...

Oh, I'd love to see a pattern for this. In fact, I'm on the lookout for the right kind of jersey already.

House of Pinheiro said...

Beautiful tops.. My fav is the cute striped.. How did you do the facing in jersey?

Anonymous said...

These are all so cute! I think I like the stripey version best, but they're all really nice pieces and I'm not surprised that they've been getting lots of wear! :)

Anonymous said...

Cool! Knipmode released exactly the same pattern (October 2010 issue) dress/ top variation (same sleeve elements etc) and I made the dress version in a drapey jersey. Burda did the same last year, I think burdastyle actually offer that batwing as a downloadable pattern on their website.

Claire (aka Seemane) said...

Luv, luv, luv the stripey red one. And, the black one is so classic yet casual too - you could definitely wear that one in an office or with denim cut-off shorts for summer v. versatile hun! Plus, I think making the pattern available would be very popular too :-)

Marie said...

Oooh, these are great Zoe - especially the fun stripes! I'd be thrilled to pay for this pattern, it's such a cool basic top!

Jessica said...

do you think this pattern would lend itself well to your maternity tutorial?

Zoe said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.

@Jessica, I think this would be an ace starting point for the maternity tutorial

xxx

Mode Chocolat said...

I love the fabric with berads!!!

Jody said...

Count me in as one who would pay for your beautiful pattern!

Unknown said...

This is super cute! I'm definitely going to have to make this one!

Amanda
waysidewaists.blogspot.com

Jo Upton said...

Please do release a pattern... These tops are awesome!!

Annie said...

I would pay for this pattern in a heartbeat! Love it!!

Tasty Destination said...

Please share the pattern, it's absolutely beautiful, the dress fabrics is lovely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...