Tuesday 17 May 2011

Surayya's Baby Quilt!

Oops, I forgot to share with a sewing project that I'll think you'll agree is something of a deviation from my normal stitchery pokery. This is a quilty thing I completed a few weeks ago for my mate's gorgeous new little daughter, Surayya Rana.

The little lady in question is also the intended wearer of the baby dress I made a while back for the baby shower, way back before everyone was even positive she was going to be a she! You can see some scraps from that dress fabric as my contribution to the fabric medley. At that baby shower, I asked all the ladies in attendance to bring a piece of fabric with them. Those pieces of fabric were the material used to create this quilt (along with the solid teal colour I introduced in an attempt to prevent Surayya getting a headache when she spends under or on it!).

Not having ever made a quilt before, I wasn't massively sure how to approach it. The patchwork part was time consuming but easy enough. I decided not to attempt to properly quilt it because if I did so, I'm pretty sure she would be school-age before I got it finished! So I bought some brushed cotton for the backing and some wadding and made some self-bias from the remains of the teal sateen. Stitching the layers together without missing and bits or getting and pleats or tucks was a bit of a nightmare, but the whole thing was sooooo worth it. I really hope it's something she'll use and love, and I know it's been apprciated by her parents, so I'm one happy Auntie Zo!

10 comments:

Marie said...

Zo, this is gorgeous! It's so beautifully finished!

weriem said...

Cute!! I love the zebra fabric!

Carlotta Stermaria said...

I love the idea of each of your friends bringing a piece of fabric to make the quilt!

I'm not brave enought to think of making a quilt one day, but I'd be happy to make a few simpler projects like this one for my baby cousins (or for myself)! Alas, I have no idea what to begin with. Would you consider sharing some tips, if you sew another baby blanket sometime? :)

Carlotta Stermaria said...

PS: I'm VERY impressed by your finishing close-ups. This top-stitching is way too regular to be true (at least in my world).

Yelena's Nest said...

Great job! Super!
I am totally intimidated by quilts.. so in my book if someone is able to quilt, they're the awesomest sewist ever!
Maybe one day I will venture out of my comfort zone and make a quilt that is at least a little bit as beautiful as yours!

Unknown said...

It's looks great, I love the bias edging and the teal colour throughout, I'm not surprised it went down well

Roisin Muldoon said...

That is adorable - I am seriously coveting the strawberry print fabric. Also I <3 the name Surayya, I have a friend named that (although spelled with only one y) and it's an awesome name.

Corrine said...

beautiful colors, lucky baby, happy parents, talented auntie zoe!

Sophia said...

Looks lovely and congrats on getting to done before the baby got too big.

I'm impressed at how well the teal holds together all those different colours and patterns.

Did you quilt it at all? Different types of wadding need different levels of quilting density to hold them in place.

Milly said...

so pretty

I absolutely adore your blog!! I'm following!

Would love you to enter my CHANEL giveaway:

http://thoroughlymodernmilly5.blogspot.com/2011/03/chanel-giveaway.html

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...