Tuesday 7 September 2010

Self-Stitched-September: Days 4, 5 & 6

Day 4:
Some charity shopping with my homegirl Silvia and hanging with my folks happened wearing self-stitched top (made using Simplicity 3835, which really needs no more mention on this blog) and my navy tulip skirt. Oh and pants, of course, and the leopard coat when I ventured outside. It's not too impressive that I've already worn this top and skirt already during SSS and it's only Day 4. At least it's a new combo. I wasn't massively into this navy skirt when I first made it, but now I'd say it is one of my favourites, funny how that happens sometimes. It must have grown on me when it was forced into service during Me-Made-March and Me-Made-May. Which is kind of the very point of this whole challenge I guess!

Day 5:

I'm so sorry if this outfit hurts your eyes. I tried to turn down the contrast but it made the image look wierd. Slobbing Sunday occurred wearing self-stitched remade blouse, the red pencil skirt from that I made for my job interview (determined to get some more wear from it), Saint Cardigan and pants. Poor old Saint Cardigan is pretty bobbly these days from all the wear and laundering its recieved. Anyways, Sunday (AKA Day 5) was spent busy stitching a black top in time for......

Day 6!:

Job trial day! Just as I didn't have anything self-stitched that was suitable for the interview, neither did I have a self-stitched black top to wear to the job trial (black clothing was the requirement). Once again, rapid stitchery was required. So, temporarily flouting my stash bustin' principals for the sake of SSS success, I picked up a metre of black jersey and made this T-shirt top to wear with my black Jenny skirt (and pants and leopard coat). I used a hybrid of patterns whose ancestors derived from the Built By Wendy Sew U: Home Stretch book and self-drafted attempts from existing garments. I had a bit of black FOE which created a neat and easy to do neckline. The proper side of the FOE is satiny, but I used the matt reverse side to avoid any latent underwear/leotard vibe. I was nervous as hell for the trial, but with the luck drawn from my anchor necklace and my self-stitched garms, I was offered the job at the end of it! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No time for celebration partying just yet though, I have a week to make more black garments, without which I'll have no change of clothes for my new job! Ironic considering my recent colour conclusions. Bring on the black fabric.......

21 comments:

silvia said...

max says you totally rock that leopard coat!

Tilly said...

So chic! Hope the job trial went well. And hope you don't get too stressed churning out more black tops...

molly said...

At least you look rather chic in all black! Good luck at the new job

Mary said...

Congratulations! Guess you'll be going back to black. Your outfits all look great-my fave is the navy skirt and the black skirt/tee combo. I wear lots of black and am trying to branch out (thus the "grandma cardigan in taupe).

Alexandra said...

Congratulations! Hope it goes well.

Claire (aka Seemane) said...

Ah, congrats on the job-offer Zoe!

P.S. Question: I'm guessing from the quickly made top, that you've been reunited with your sewing machine & stuff since your move back to the UK? Are you now itching to replenish your self-stitched wardrobe following the Spanish-cull :)?

Reneebies said...

congrats on the new job!

christina said...

Congrats!
Wearing all black can be fun. I have to do it for work, too and am enjoying it. I am grateful it isn't any other colour or white top/black bottoms. I have learned so much about silhoutte this way.

Clare said...

I just LOVE that top! Congratulations on the job - just make sure sewing all those new black garments doesn't make you go blind..

Veronica Darling... said...

Congrats, you're fabulous so of course they'd want to hire you!

YAY FOR BLACK, I think I might need some more dresses in black too.

Great whip up for the first day though!

Tasia said...

Congrats on the job!
How great to have that fabulous leopard coat to top off an all-black outfit, too. Good luck whipping up more black work clothes - no need to change thread colours at least :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! And great top.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Congratulations on the new job!

I love the top you made. You're very creative with drafting.

Roobeedoo said...

Any recommendations on where to find a decent black jersey fabric? I have to say you are looking fab in all those pictures. Less is definitely more!

Alessa said...

Nice top and congrats on the job! :-)

Alyssa said...

Whoop, whoop and huzzah on the new job :D I'm still too chicken to sew a t-shirt but it is one of my goals to get over that.

frk.bustad said...

Congrats! The top is so cute! I love the poufs, and the simpleness yet chicness of the outfit! Clever girl!

Uta said...

I think you look great in black; congratulations on the job! Being "forced" to wear what's self-stitched is one of the best parts of MMM and SSS! Just today I thought "I'm starting to love this blouse"... and I was considering tossing it before SSS.

Zoe said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments, you make me blush!

Thanks for the question Claire, in fact I feel I may need a whole post to answer fully. But in short: no, I'm not itching to repopulate my wardrobe quite as much as I'd expect. I really want to get a lot of sewing done, but I'm so tired of making projects quickly, just for the sake of it, and the results being imperfect. I hate the waste of time, effort and money that a 'meh' garment represents, that I'm determined to make the whole process slower and hopefully more successful. When I was forced to be honest with myself, although I had stacks of self-stitched clothes before, most of them weren't really enjoyable to wear for a variety of reasons. The things I'm left with are the most successful and wearable things, so although my wardrobe is still sparse, I'm probably still wearing only the things I would have gravitated to pre-cull anyhow!

xxx

naughty little pony said...

Brilliant! Congrats on your new job! So happy for you.
You look so great in all your outfits too.
xx

Ali said...

Congrats! As usual, all your outfits are fabulous! And I really need to get my hands on some FOE :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...